Image Map

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Treat people the way you want to be treated?

For as long as I can remember… everything I do ok almost everything I do is for the wrong reason. OK maybe not everything, and maybe not almost everything, but A LOT of what I do is for the wrong reason.


The wrong reason being that I am under the belief that if I do this, or I treat people this way that my actions will control the actions of those around me. I wholeheartedly believed that if I treated people the way I want to be treated then they would do the same for me. Eh… that is so not the case.


Sometimes, it’s a good thing that people don’t always treat me the way I treated them… since I am human and I make mistakes, thankfully those mistakes aren’t always held against me.


Anyway, back to what I was saying. I am learning that I can’t control how others treat me or perceive me. I can only control what I do, and how I treat others. My kindness, or hospitality shouldn’t be decided on the idea of you do for me as I do for you… does that make sense.


So maybe I should only do things that I want to do… I should do what is best for me and my family. Screw everyone else? I don’t see that happening, since I hardly thing that is what life is about and certainly not what I want to teach my children.


But, sadly some people do live their lives that way. Maybe I need to remember that before I make sacrifices and go out of my way for them… I am sure my energy would be better spent on those who truly appreciate and can reciprocate the same to me and my family.

No comments: